Psoriasis on the head – treatment of the scalp
Psoriasis of the scalp – chronic skin disease, manifested by the presence of areas of severe inflammation of the skin, covered with a large number of scales. The process may be limited or affect most of the scalp, causing significant discomfort.
Psoriasis of the scalp is not fully understood, the exact cause of the occurrence can not always be established. There are several theories of origin, and therefore, treatment requires an integrated approach.
To get acquainted with the initial manifestations and the stage of progression of psoriasis on the head, it is worth considering the photos of patients. Sometimes visually from the photo you can distinguish the initial stage of psoriasis on the head from other types of dermatoses.
The initial stage of psoriasis on the head
It is difficult for the patient to determine the onset of psoriasis on the head, the elements of the rash are hidden under the hair and the itching is mild. May be mistaken for seborrheic dermatitis (dandruff).
Psoriasis on the head in the initial stage is characterized by the appearance of small raised papular foci, prone to fusion and the formation of a bright pink plaque. The surface of the elements is covered with silvery-white scales. By type, they are distinguished:
The initial manifestations of psoriasis on the head in children have some peculiarity: the plaques are covered with yellow crusts against the background of moderate infiltration.
Psoriasis of the scalp spreads along the hair growth zone, goes to the behind the ear, covers the upper third of the neck and forehead line. Papules combine into plaques, covered with a dense layer of white scales. Distinctive feature: hair is not damaged, there is no loss. With a long and persistent course with the lack of proper treatment, the hair weakens due to impaired microcirculation. However, after the disappearance of the plaques, they grow again with the same strength.
The plaques are bright pink, red or purple in color, can be very itchy, after scratching they peel off with the release of droplets of blood. Severe dryness of the skin can lead to the formation of small and deep cracks, a decrease in elasticity and firmness.
Treatment of psoriasis on the head
A complete cure for psoriasis of the scalp is impossible, however, with adequate and personally selected therapy, the disease is transferred into a stable remission. Proper care and preventive measures prevent the development of exacerbations.
In severe psoriasis on the head, systemic anti-inflammatory ( immunosuppressive and cytostatic) drugs or agents that affect the rate of cell division (synthetic retinoids ) are used. Additionally or in milder cases, vitamin therapy, hepatoprotectors may be prescribed.
To achieve a stable remission after the treatment of psoriasis on the head, it is necessary to use local drugs that reduce the inflammatory component, soften and soothe the skin.
External medicines based on hormonal preparations
- Quickly relieve inflammation, itching and burning. However, they are prescribed in a short course due to possible complications. The skin becomes thinner, loses its protective properties, turgor decreases, atrophy is possible. The risk of occurrence of a “withdrawal syndrome” is high. The cycle of therapy is determined by the attending physician.
- Non-hormonal external agents are suitable for daily use and allow you to keep the skin calm. Most often they contain salicylic acid, panthenol , zinc compounds, Naftalan oil. These components have anti-inflammatory, mild exfoliating, antiseptic, wound healing and regenerating effects.
Losterin in the treatment of psoriasis on the head
The line of non-hormonal drugs Losterin based on Naftalan oil is used by patients during the acute course of psoriasis as part of complex therapy and in remission to maintain skin condition. Helps reduce inflammation, moisturize and soften the skin, relieve itching and burning. Comprehensive treatment of head psoriasis at home using Losterin shampoo and cream gives a stable positive result for a long time.
One of the advantages of the Losterin line is the complete absence of fragrances, dyes and hormonal ingredients, which eliminates the “withdrawal syndrome”. Hypoallergenic preparations are suitable for daily use.
Losterin shampoo has anti-inflammatory, antifungal, antipruritic and antimicrobial effects. Cream Losterin is used in the spread of psoriatic rashes on the skin of the neck, forehead and behind the ears. Sometimes applied pointwise for psoriasis of the scalp. Naftalan shower gel gently affects irritated, tight and damaged skin of the neck and the whole body.
Treatment of psoriasis on the head with folk remedies
When a disease is detected and diagnosed, patients begin to think about how to cure psoriasis on the head on their own without the use of drugs, which is not entirely true.
Experts strongly recommend not to self-medicate, but to discuss the methods and methods of traditional medicine used with the attending specialist.
Prevention of psoriasis on the head
To carry out preventive measures, you will need:
- Careful selection of the right shampoo.
- Application of medicinal lotion, cream and shampoo with gentle massaging movements.
- Dry your hair with a soft towel, soak excess moisture on the skin.
- Choose combs and combs with rounded ends, gently comb the hair at the roots.
- It is advisable to choose a free hairstyle. Avoid excessive tightening of hair in the tail, do not use curlers.
- Stop using hair dye.
- Comply with medical prescriptions, seek medical attention in a timely manner.
- Rejection of bad habits.
- Treatment of diseases of internal organs.
- Compliance with the daily routine and nutrition. Read the recommended diet tables for scalp psoriasis.
Nutrition for psoriasis of the scalp should be balanced and correct. Avoid snacking and eating at fast food places. Reduce the intake of foods with flavors, preservatives, thickeners and dyes. The daily diet includes:
- cereals: buckwheat, rice, oatmeal, millet, wheat;
- meat: beef, turkey, rabbit;
- fish: halibut, sea bass, tuna;
- sunflower and olive oil;
- fresh or steam vegetables;
- fermented milk products: kefir, fermented baked milk, ayran, tan .
In the autumn-spring period, with psoriasis of the head, vitamins of groups B, A, C, D, E, PP are prescribed.