As soon as psoriasis is not called – psora, alfosis, Wilson’s leprosy – the essence and symptoms of psoriasis do not change from this. The disease is widespread throughout the world, both men and women suffer from it.
About a disease called “psoriasis”
If we consider this disease by gender, then the number of sick women and men is approximately the same, but in women the disease manifests itself at a younger age, when compared with men.
This disease is not contagious, it is chronic. During periods of remission, skin rashes become pale, and sometimes completely disappear.
The disease is manifested by the appearance on the skin of papules, spots, red or pink, slightly raised above the skin surface. The papules have well-defined borders; on their surface, silvery scales can be observed.
Most often, the skin is affected by plaques on the knees, elbows, buttocks, under the hair on the head, on the abdomen.
What can cause psoriasis
Until now, the causes of this skin ailment have not been found and, as a result, there is no medicine that can defeat it.
The causes of the disease, so it is assumed, can be hereditary, metabolic, endocrine, neurogenic, viral, infectious, allergic. Most often, the “provocateur” of the disease is a strong nervous shock or stress. Additional factors are: taking certain antibiotics, changing hormonal levels, skin injuries, hypothermia, exposure to sunlight for a long time, a sharp change in climate, alcohol poisoning.
Symptoms of the disease
With this disease, the symptoms of each person may be different, but there are basic ones, of which the patient must have at least one:
· Spots on the skin surface, usually red, covered with silvery scales on top;
Small scaly spots found in children;
· The skin is dry, cracking, often bleeds;
Soreness of the skin;
· Increased skin sensitivity;
· Change in relief, thickness, color and shape of nails;
· The appearance of visible swelling of the joints.
Spots and plaques on the body can be of different sizes – from very small to huge, covering almost the entire skin surface. They may not cause discomfort, but they can cause severe pain.
Almost all the symptoms of psoriasis, like the disease itself, are cyclical – they are present for some time, and then disappear to appear again.
Doctors distinguish a large number of types of psoriasis, each of which has its own characteristics.
Types of disease and their symptoms
· Plaque psoriasis. This type is considered the most common. It is characterized by: plaques, papules, covered with silver scales. They are painful to touch, itchy, cracked and bleeding around the skin.
· Psoriasis on the scalp. On the scalp, under the hair, red itchy papules appear, with a white-silvery-scaly surface. When brushing the hair, there is a large amount of dead skin in the form of dandruff.
· Psoriasis of nails. With this form of manifestation of the disease, the nails on the hands and feet are affected. In this case, the nails are observed: the appearance of pits or transverse depressions; excessive fragility; discoloration of the nail; abnormal nail growth – excessive overgrowth in width; separation of the nail plate from the nail bed.
· Guttate psoriasis. This type is found in those who are not yet thirty years old. Small ulcers in the form of droplets appear on the body, arms, legs, head – they are less dense than ordinary psoriatic papules. They can appear only once, but it happens that they appear many times.
As you can see, the symptoms of psoriasis are pronounced, which makes it possible to start treatment on time. Maybe today it is impossible to get rid of it completely, but it is possible to achieve long-term remission. Good luck.